Do You Need a Work Permit at 16 in the US?

Consideration was given for the editing and publication of this post.

If you are under 18 and intend to look for work in the US, it’s important for both you and your employer to understand the child labor laws.

You probably have many questions:

Who needs a work permit?

Can you work without a work permit if you’re 16 years of age?

If you do need a permit, how do you get one?

How’s it different from a green card?

While there is no federal law dictating the need for work permits, most states impose their own regulations regarding the need for work permits for people of certain ages. 

This is where it gets complicated. Regulations vary greatly from state to state, so it is important to check the local rules before making any decisions.

The Child Labor Laws are strict and prevent employers from hiring cheap, underage labor. You must follow the laws to the letter to avoid getting into problems with the authorities.

Are work permits different from employment certificates?

Work permits are also known as employment certificates, proof-of-age certificates, or employment authorization documents (EADs), depending on the state in which you apply.

These documents are temporary and allow an eligible person under the age of 18 (a minor) to work in the US. They essentially protect employers from being prosecuted for hiring under-age labor as they are considered proof-of-age documents.

If you have the underlying right to work in the US (through citizenship, holding green card status, a U Visa if you are the victim of a crime or a VAWA petition) then you can apply for a work permit. You cannot be issued a work permit without this underlying right.

If, for instance, your employment green card application is denied, a work permit obtained on the basis of your pending application is invalidated. This means that you will not then be able to work legally in the US.

Where do you need a work permit at 16 in the US?

Whether you need a work permit as a 16-year-old depends on your location in the US. As mentioned, all states dictate their own rules regarding this.

It gets complicated because some states require no certificates to work at 16, others require an employment certificate and others require both an employment certificate and an age certificate.

So, for instance, you need a work permit (employment certificate) in Nevada only if you are under 14 years of age (not if you are16). 

In Connecticut, the age at which you require a work permit is 16, in Alaska, it’s 17and in New York, it’s 18 years or under.

In Oklahoma, it is mandated that you must have an employment certificate AND an age certification to start a job if you are under 16.

In New Mexico, you need an employment certificate if you are under 16 and an age certificate will be issued on request (though it is not required).

In some states like Tennessee and South Dakota, neither certificate is needed to work as a minor.

Most states have minimum employment age requirements. For instance, minors under the age of 12 in California cannot receive a work permit except in the entertainment industry or in a few other exceptional circumstances. 

Do you see how this is entirely location-dependent and therefore rather difficult to generalize about?

This is the best place to check work permit requirements if you are wondering whether you need a work permit at 16 in your state. This page lists the age requirements for each state along with the type of certification you require to work and whether it is mandated by the state or issued upon request.

How do you get a work permit?

Again, there is no simple one answer to this question. It depends on the state in which you reside and want to work.

In most states, work permits are issued by either the labor department or local public schools.

Fortunately, the process is fairly straightforward in most cases, providing that you are eligible for a work permit. Note, however, that you may need to have already made contact with a potential employer and received an offer to start work if you can secure a work permit.

The application process and required forms are often accessible online to make things easier.

Typically, you will need to follow a simple process like this:

  1. Obtain a work permit application either from your local high school, the labor department or online.
  2. A pre-application form may be required in some states, to be completed by your prospective employer.
  3. You may also be required to pass a physical examination or obtain a physician’s certificate in some states.
  4. Complete your personal information on the application form and, if applicable, get your prospective employer to fill out the part of the form that applies to them.
  5. Your parent or guardian may also need to sign the application form.
  6. Return the completed work permit application to the address indicated on the form, where the work permit will be processed and typed. 
  7. Applications are usually processed relatively quickly – within a week or so.
  8. Tale a copy of your work permit to your prospective employer.

If you’re not sure about the requirements and would like legal assistance with attaining a work permit, most immigration attorneys, such as the ones from Noble Vrapi, will walk you through the process and be able to help you secure a permit if you are eligible.

June 30, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

How to File a Personal Injury Claim?

Consideration was given for the editing and publication of this post.

Have you suffered life-changing injuries as a result of a car accident, medical malpractice, a slip and fall accident or any other type of accident that was no fault of yours?

If so, you may be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party or parties.

However, this is rarely a straightforward process. No two cases are the same and they can become complex.

You will generally need to prove negligence or reckless behaviour in order to win a case. This may involve testimony from expert witnesses, CCTV footage, witness statements, access to medical records, etc.

On top of this, the insurance companies of the at-fault party often use strategies to minimize or delay payments or to avoid liability altogether.

That’s why most people who file a personal injury claim do so with the assistance of a personal injury lawyer.  If you need further support, please contact the lawyers at Vogel LLP

Can you file a personal injury claim?

Whether you can make a personal injury claim in Canada depends largely on the following factors:

  • Can you prove that you or a family member were injured?
  • Can you prove that the injury is related to the negligent or reckless actions of another person or people?
  • Can you demonstrate physical losses (e.g. physical pain, medical costs, lost wages)?
  • Can you demonstrate emotional pain and suffering?
  • Can you demonstrate expected future losses?

In most cases, a family member can make a personal injury claim on behalf of a loved one. This is often necessary when the victim is incapacitated due to their injuries, such as someone who suffers a serious traumatic brain injury in a car accident.

The family of a person who died as a result of an accident caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another party can also file a personal injury claim.

Bear in mind that there is a statute of limitations for personal injury cases set by each province in Canada. For instance, in Ontario, it is two years from the date of the injury. 

It is, therefore, important to start legal proceedings as soon as possible. Failure to file within the set time period means that the court will not be able to hear your case.

Does your insurance policy cover you? 

Your insurance policy may provide some cover for your losses but how adequate this cover is depends on the extent of your injuries.

Canada has a “no-fault” insurance system when it comes to car accidents – the most common reason for personal injury claims.

This means that the question of fault for a collision is temporarily set aside while damages and injuries are addressed.

On the face of it, this may seem beneficial as the insurance company pays the damage claims of all insured drivers, including the costs of repairing your vehicle and the costs of your injury such as ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation and caregiver costs. This means that there is no waiting for court decisions on fault and damages.

If the accident is later found to be the fault of the other party, your insurance company then waives the deductible.

However, while your insurance policy covers you to some extent, if you’re seriously injured in an accident, it might not be enough. 

The no-fault system limits the amounts recoverable from both your insurance company and the at-fault driver’s insurance company. There’s also a sizeable deductible on court awards for pain and suffering.

This is when you’ll really require the assistance of a personal injury lawyer.

The bottom line, then, is if your injury is a minor one (and it is unclear whose fault the accident was) your insurance policy may provide acceptable cover. 

With more serious injuries where you are confident that another party was at fault, it is advisable to contact a personal injury lawyer.

Hiring a personal injury lawyer

For serious personal injury cases, the stakes can be very high. 

You may think that yours is an obvious case that the insurance company will settle for a fair amount.

In reality, this probably won’t happen unless you are prepared to fight for it.

It is therefore advisable in most instances to hire a lawyer who is well-versed in the process of claiming losses for personal injury victims, liaising with insurance companies and, if necessary, directing the litigation process against the at-fault party.

In the majority of personal injury cases, the insurance company of the at-fault party prefers to reach an out-of-court settlement. This reduces legal costs, may lead to a lower settlement figure and avoids potential reputational damage from a public trial.

While some aspects of your losses are relatively easy to demonstrate (medical costs or lost wages), your lawyer will be able to guide you on the more complex aspects, such as the value of emotional pain and suffering and future losses, if applicable.

An experienced personal injury lawyer will know approximately the total compensation figure that you should be entitled to and will guard your best interests when negotiating with the insurance company. 

However, insurance companies protect their own interests. They employ trained “adjusters” who are sophisticated and look to reduce payouts to an absolute minimum.

If the proposed settlement is too low, your lawyer may advise you to initiate litigation.

Filing a lawsuit

If you fail to reach a settlement with the at-fault party, your lawyer can file a civil lawsuit in the local branch of your state’s civil court. 

Your lawyer will have to prove in the courts that someone else’s negligence or reckless actions are responsible for your losses, in order for you to be entitled to compensation.

This may become a technical, time-consuming, and adversarial process but an experienced personal injury lawyer will be familiar with the strategies required to win such cases.

Note that it generally costs nothing to speak to a personal injury lawyer to discuss the general details of your case and to receive advice on your legal options. 

If you agree to file a civil lawsuit, the attorney may only take a fee if you are successful in your claim. Most work on a contingency basis.

June 30, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

Common Types of Personal Injury Cases

Consideration was given for the editing and publication of this post.

If you file a personal injury lawsuit in New Mexico, there’s a good chance that it will be for a car accident, medical malpractice, dog bite or a slip and fall type of accident.

These are four of the most common types of personal injury cases around the country – but not the only ones.

Bear in mind that personal injury cases are not only concerned with physical injury – they also include damage to one’s reputation.

Here we take a broad overview of the main types of personal injury cases, looking at the numbers and what you can expect from each type of case.  If you have any further questions, please contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Legal Solutions of New Mexico.  

Main personal injury cases in New Mexico

Any type of accident that occurred through the fault of others and caused you losses can lead to a personal injury case if you are able to prove negligence or the reckless actions of the at-fault party or parties.

Car accidents

Car accidents affect more than two million Americans every year and, according to the University of New Mexico, a total of 13, 597 accidents involving injury occurred in New Mexico alone in 2018.

It’s not surprising, then, that car accidents are the number one reason for filing a personal injury case in the state.

Drivers, pedestrians, passengers, cyclists, motorcycle drivers, etc. can all file claims.

New Mexico is an at-fault state (you can claim directly from the at-fault party or parties) and, depending on the seriousness of the injury, compensation claims against the at-fault parties can be sizable. 

Often, the insurance company will settle out of court to avoid excessive legal costs but, without strong legal representation, these claims are often “underpaid”.

Even if it is clear that their client is the at-fault party, insurance companies often attempt low-balling tactics because of the potentially high claims that result from serious car accidents.

Slip and fall cases

Falls are the leading cause of non-fatal medically treated injuries in the U.S., with over eight million emergency room visits each year attributed to slips, trips, and falls. 

If you slip and fall on another person’s property and sustain an injury, you may be able to file a claim (premises liability).

Property owners (and sometimes those who rent the property) have a legal duty to keep their premises reasonably safe and free of hazards. 

Therefore, if you are injured as a result of negligence, you may be able to hold the property owner liable, depending on the circumstances.

These types of cases are very common, as are workplace slips and falls. Almost a quarter of a million workplace accidents per year are attributed to slips and falls, often causing injuries that prevent employees from working and earning wages.

In New Mexico, employers are protected against personal injury claims by workers even when they are negligent. Instead, in most cases, as an employee, you will need to file a claim for losses under the Workers’ Compensation Act.

Dog bites

Personal injury cases involving dog bites are extremely common too in the U.S.

While these injuries are rarely fatal, around 800,000 people per year are treated for dog bite injuries and 27,000 people required reconstructive surgery from their injuries in 2018.

Medical bills, loss of earnings, and pain and suffering can be high in dog bite cases and, if so, a good lawyer will help you file a claim against the dog’s owner to cover your losses

However, New Mexico law recognizes the “one bite” rule, meaning that the dog must have one prior incident for aggressively biting someone before the owner can be held liable.

Medical malpractice cases

Another of the most common types of personal injury cases is medical malpractice. This occurs when the level of care that patients receive is below appropriate medical standards and injuries result from it.

It can be something as relatively minor as bed sores to much more serious conditions that result in permanent disability or even death.

Medical malpractice is far more common than most people think. In fact, it is the third leading cause of death in the U.S., with around a quarter of a million people dying each year from it.

If a doctor or nurse at a hospital or other medical facility is negligent and you suffer injuries as a result, the facility may be held liable. It might include misdiagnosis, improper treatment, surgical errors, medication mistakes, pharmacy errors, or something else.

These cases are often complex and require expert testimony from professional witnesses but many insurance companies prefer to settle out of court to avoid negative publicity and excessive legal costs.

Products liability

Product liability is another common personal injury case type. This is where dangerous or defective products lead to injury.

Often, this occurs at home, in the workplace, or in public places like parks or on the roads. The product designer, manufacturer or marketers may be held liable for the injury caused if they are found to be at fault.

A few examples of products that are commonly the subject of personal injury cases include drugs, food, consumer products, children’s’ products, vehicle parts, and medical devices.

Defamation cases

As mentioned, physical injury is not necessary to file a personal injury case. Emotional pain and suffering and the damage to your reputation from somebody defaming you by libel or slander can also lead to a lawsuit.

In these cases, you need to prove that an untrue statement was made and the defamation that resulted from this caused financial loss. It can be challenging to prove, especially without a lawyer who specializes in this type of personal injury case.

As you’ve seen, personal injury cases are very diverse. Filing a case can help you receive the compensation you deserve for losses such as medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

For the best chances of success, hire an attorney who specializes in your specific type of case. 

Your injury doesn’t necessarily result in legal liability for the alleged at-fault party, and the outcome of your case will depend on the skills of your lawyer to prove liability.

June 30, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

Monday morning with Alex Williams’ cartoons


This cartoon is by Alex Williams who draws the Queen’s Counsel cartoons for The Times and in numerous books including The Queen’s Counsel Lawyer’s Omnibus. He offers almost all of his cartoons for sale at £120 for originals and £40 for copies and they can be obtained from this email

June 29, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

Monday morning with Alex Williams’ cartoons


This cartoon is by Alex Williams who draws the Queen’s Counsel cartoons for The Times and in numerous books including The Queen’s Counsel Lawyer’s Omnibus. He offers almost all of his cartoons for sale at £120 for originals and £40 for copies and they can be obtained from this email

June 22, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

What is a Bedsore Claim?

Consideration was given for the editing and publication of this post.

If a loved one is staying in a hospital, nursing home or other care facility and sustains pressure sores, ulcers, or “bedsores”, it is a red flag for neglect.

In such cases, you may be entitled to damages. To win compensation from a bedsore claim, you will need to prove fault, i.e., that neglect from the nursing home caused the bedsores.

This can be challenging and insurance companies may try every trick in the book to avoid fully compensating victims.

However, with the right legal guidance, such as the team from Sinel & Olesen PLLC, you can claim what you deserve. Many healthcare facilities settle out of court to avoid considerable court costs and, sometimes, higher settlements.

Here’s what you can expect from a bedsore claim…

The duty of care in nursing facilities

When you entrust your loved one to a healthcare facility, that facility is bound by a duty of care to your loved one.

On top of the right to be treated with courtesy and enjoy continued civil and legal rights, they must receive appropriate care.

Minimum standards are set by the state and federal governments for the care of your loved one.

For instance, in New York, the nursing home must post a Residents’ Bill of Rights and residents have the right to:

  • Dignity, respect and a comfortable living environment
  • Quality of care and treatment without discrimination
  • Be free from abuse including verbal, sexual, mental and physical abuse
  • Be free from restraints

There are many other rights afforded residents but “quality of care” is one of the most fundamental.

What causes bedsores?

Bedsores are “pressure ulcers” caused by persistent and unrelenting pressure on the skin.

Most commonly, this is due to a lack of movement when an incapacitated patient is confined to a bed or even a wheelchair for an extended period of time.

Nursing duties should normally include turning an incapacitated patient, as well as ensuring proper bathing and hygiene is followed.

For at-risk patients, special pillows, cushions, and air mattresses should be in place to reduce pressure on the skin and creams and ointments available to help prevent sores developing.

Failure to take measures to prevent bedsores can cause small injuries to the skin, resulting from restricted blood flow. These occur most commonly on the heels, buttocks, back, and head. 

Bedsores appear as shallow wounds at first and these are sometimes called “stage one sores”.

Stage three or four bedsores are a “never event” according to the federal government, meaning that they should never occur in healthcare facilities.

However, if stage one or two stores go unnoticed and are left untreated (and the patient continues to remain motionless), bedsores can quickly progress to deeper and more painful wounds. 

These wounds can become infected, especially in unsanitary conditions, and this may lead to other serious complications.

Can you file a bedsore claim if a loved one has bedsores?

Bedsores can lead to considerable damages, both physical and psychological. In the most serious cases, they require surgery or can even result in sepsis and death.

You may be entitled to compensation for:

  • Past medical bills for treating the bedsores
  • Past medical bills for treating conditions that resulted from the bedsores
  • Future medical bills 
  • Disfigurement and scarring
  • Physical pain and suffering 
  • Mental pain and suffering
  • Disability
  • Wrongful death

To file a lawsuit, you will need to show that these damages were caused by the neglect of the nursing home.

As you have seen, there is a duty of care that healthcare facilities must abide by. Staff shortages, long working hours, inadequate training procedures, or other reasons for the neglect do not absolve the nursing home of responsibility for the injuries caused to your loved one. 

You do not need to prove intent to file a bedsore claim.

How to file a bedsore claim

Firstly, filing a bedsore claim is likely to involve legal representation. 

Remember, you need to prove fault to have a valid claim. An additional complication in bedsore cases is that most victims already suffer health problems, so it is important for a professional to establish the injuries related specifically to the bedsores.

Law firms exist that deal almost exclusively with bedsore cases. They are experienced at getting the compensation that victims deserve.

Your lawyer will handle the (at times) lengthy process of negotiating with the insurance companies and can often reach a satisfactory out-of-court settlement.

Most commonly, your bedsore claim will progress through the following steps:

  • Discovery and investigation: your lawyer will gather details about the circumstances surrounding the bedsores, gather photos, interview witnesses, collect medical reports, and approach medical experts to evaluate the injuries.
  • Assess present and future damages: your lawyer will assess medical expenses, recovery programs, etc., as well as psychological pain and suffering.
  • Full scope of costs: your lawyer will determine a fair value for a settlement based on all past and potential expenses (note that where a nursing home is found to be reckless, punitive damages may be due on top of other damages).
  • Liaising with the insurance company: your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. 
  • Litigation: if no settlement can be reached with the insurance company and you have a strong case, a bedsore lawyer should recommend litigation.

If you feel you may have a strong case for a bedsore claim, contact a law firm that specializes in such claims.

June 15, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

How to Modify Child Support Payments Plans in Canada?

Consideration was given for the editing and publication of this post.

When a child support order is issued by a judge in a divorce case in Canada, it is legally binding and you are expected to abide by it.

However, the law does recognize that people’s circumstances can change and so there is some in-built flexibility to child support. 

If your financial circumstances have substantially changed for the worse, you may be able to modify your child support payments but this will not happen automatically.

There are also other circumstances that may warrant a modification to child support payments, as explained below.

How long does Child Support Payment last?

Parents in Canada are responsible for financially supporting dependent children. 

That is, they must support their children until they turn 18 – or perhaps longer if educational requirements dictate or the child has a disability.

This is the case even if you don’t live with the children or never see them.

However, several methods exist for changing child support payments, depending on how the original agreement was drawn up, who is requesting the change, why it is being requested, and whether both parents agree with the changes.

In most cases, child support payments may only be modified if:

  • You, as the payor spouse, have experienced a substantial and long-term reduction in income or financial status – leading to “undue hardship”
  • The costs of raising the child can be shown to have changed substantially (e.g. the child has left daycare or finished full-time schooling)
  • The child has left the payee parent’s house voluntarily and/or is now living with the payor parent

It is important to bear in mind that even if these circumstances can be proven, you cannot simply start paying less in child support unless a new agreement has been drawn up or the court issues a new child support order.

Note also that a change in the income or financial status of the payee spouse is not usually a reason to modify child support payments.

What is the process for modifying child support payments?

There are different procedures for modifying child support payments if you meet the criteria to do so.

Where both spouses agree on the child support modification 

In cases where you and your spouse agree on the proposed modification in child support, you can draw up a new agreement.

If you decide to proceed without a lawyer’s assistance, your agreement must be dated and signed by both parents and a witness in order to be valid.

If this new agreement changes an old agreement that was filed with the court, you must file a Notice of Calculation or a Notice of Recalculation and then file the new agreement with the court.

The new support amount can be enforced by the Family Responsibility Office, if necessary, providing it is filed with the court.

If the court previously issued a final court order for child support, you will need to request a change to this order based on the new agreement you have drawn up. Your lawyer can help with this application to the court

If parents disagree on a proposed new support agreement

You can ask the court to modify child support payments by issuing a new order if your ex-spouse disagrees with the proposed modification.

The court will only approve this request if there has been a substantial and ongoing change of circumstances, as detailed previously.

Can you file a new child support agreement online?

There is also an online government service (Child Support Service or CSS) where you can set up or make changes to child support.

You can use this service even if your spouse does not agree with a proposed change in child support payments.

Set formulas are used to calculate child support payments in Canada. If you send your new income information to the CSS, you will receive a Notice of Recalculation that tells you how much child support must be paid.

However, bear in mind that this service is not available to anyone who has already made a change to support payments in the preceding six months.

If you successfully arrange a modification with the CSS, your ex-spouse will receive a notice in the mail from the Ministry of the Attorney General informing them that you have applied to change child support online and the CSS agrees to the change.

Your ex-spouse can appeal the decision if the information that you provided is incorrect. However, if there is no response within 25 days, the CSS can change their support payment regardless.

Consult a lawyer before deciding on child support changes

Attempting to arrange child support payments in Canada without a qualified layer is asking for trouble.  For more information regarding child support payments, please contact our experienced family lawyers at Amiri Family Law today. 

Most established divorce lawyers are adept at helping couples create child support agreements that are enforceable by law. If your financial circumstances change, your lawyer should also be involved in the process so that future arrangements run without a hitch.

June 15, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

What is a DWI Probation?

Consideration was given for the editing and publication of this post.

If you are charged with a DWI in Texas and it is your first offence, there is a good chance you will end up with a DWI probation or suspended sentence rather than having to serve jail time.

However, this is far from an automatic decision by a judge. There are some aspects of probation that are unique to DWI offenses in Texas.

You will need to be smart and hire a DWI lawyer, such as the team at Trey Porter Law,  to guide you through the process and work towards your best interests.

What is a DWI 1st Offence?

A first DWI offence in Texas carries possible punishments ranging from 3-180 days in jail, a $2,000 fine, license suspension for up to two years, and annual DPS fees in excess of $3,000. 

These punishments will be more severe if an open container was found in your vehicle, your Blood Alcohol Concentration was 0.15 or higher, or someone was injured in the incident.

With a good DWI lawyer and depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be handed probation in return for a guilty plea. 

That will save you from having to do any jail time, which is certainly good news. However, you still have to follow the often-strict terms of the probation and will be monitored closely by a probation officer for a set period of time.

This period may be between six months and two years for a first-time DWI offense.

Probation is “community supervision”, as defined by Chapter 42A of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure: “the placement of a defendant by a court under a continuum of programs and sanctions”.

Some of these Community Supervision sanctions are DWI-specific and are designed to help ensure that you do not re-offend and follow a law-abiding path for the rest of your life.

How to get a DWI Probation in Texas

Until September 2019, Texas did not offer deferred adjudication for adult drivers charged with DWI. 

This meant that the only way to secure DWI probation in the state was through plea bargaining: pleading guilty in return for a sentence served in the community.

Deferred adjudication is where drivers who are charged with a DWI receive only probation without a conviction.

A law passed in September 2019 now allows judges in Texas to place people charged with DWI on deferred adjudication probation, providing they:

  • Do not have a BAC greater than 0.15
  • Hold a commercial driver’s license at the time of the offense 

With deferred adjudication, judges must order the fitting of an ignition interlock device as a condition, unless it is determined that “restricting the defendant to the use of an ignition interlock is not necessary for the safety of the community.” 

If you do not qualify for deferred adjudication, your DWI defense lawyer may be able to work with the prosecutor and bargain to get the consequences of a conviction changed. That is if it is in your best interests to do so, i.e., there is little chance of your case being dismissed or you winning the case at trial.

Note, however, that if you do have a prior DWI-related conviction, you will be required to serve a minimum of 72 continuous hours in jail even if you are given probation. If you were convicted of the previous offense within five years, this jail term will be extended to five continuous days as a condition of your probation.

Possible DWI probation conditions

The following probation conditions are common to all misdemeanor offenses:

  • Random drug tests 
  • Not committing another offense
  • Avoiding injurious/vicious behavior and people of “immoral” character 
  • Reporting monthly to your court probation officer
  • Home and work inspections 
  • Remaining in employment 
  • Receiving permission before leaving the county/state
  • Paying all fines and court costs

Other possible conditions related specifically to a DWI probation include:

  • Mandatory attendance at DWI Education Class 
  • Attendance at M.A.D.D. Victim Impact Panel 
  • Completing community Service (usually 24-100 hours)
  • Submitting to an alcohol/drug evaluation 
  • Not consuming alcohol
  • Fitting an ignition interlock device in your vehicle

How can a DWI Lawyer Help?

Because of the potentially lengthy probation period, many people convicted of DWI wonder whether they can receive a probation term? 

Under Texas law, the court is not permitted to terminate a DWI probation early. The law is very specific for DWI and does not allow the time served in the community to be reduced.

It means that if you receive a one-year Community Supervision Probation term for DWI and complete all of the associated conditions, such as community service hours, paying court costs and fines and completing classes within the first nine months, you cannot appeal for your probation to be terminated early. 

However, your lawyer may be able to petition the court to modify the conditions that are attached to your probation.

For instance, your lawyer could ask the court to remove the requirement to use an ignition interlock device on your vehicle after you have completed the required amount of time according to the statute (providing you have not violated any of the associated conditions).

A court may also agree to reduce the number of community service hours required or allow you to go into “non-reporting” status, if your lawyer is able to present a compelling case to the judge to do so.

June 15, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

Monday morning with Alex Williams’ cartoons


This cartoon is by Alex Williams who draws the Queen’s Counsel cartoons for The Times and in numerous books including The Queen’s Counsel Lawyer’s Omnibus. He offers almost all of his cartoons for sale at £120 for originals and £40 for copies and they can be obtained from this email

June 15, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized

Monday morning with Alex Williams’ cartoons


This cartoon is by Alex Williams who draws the Queen’s Counsel cartoons for The Times and in numerous books including The Queen’s Counsel Lawyer’s Omnibus. He offers almost all of his cartoons for sale at £120 for originals and £40 for copies and they can be obtained from this email

June 8, 2020 · Tim Kevan · Comments Closed
Posted in: Uncategorized